Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Citizenship Issues

The American Citizens Services (ACS) Section provides information on claims to U.S. citizenship, renunciation, dual nationality, and loss of citizenship issues.

You may have a claim to citizenship if:

  • You, your father or your mother were born in the United States; or
  • You were born outside the United States or one of its outlying possessions to U.S. citizen parent(s) and your U.S. citizen parent(s) meets the *physical presence requirements.

Any of the following documents are evidence of citizenship. If you are no longer in possession of any of these documents, you must obtain a certified copy from the issuing authority.

  • A U.S. Birth Certificate - For certified copies, please contact the state in which you were born. The National Center for Health Statistics maintains a list of states' contact information for this purpose;
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) - For certified copies, please contact the Vital Records Section at the Department of State;
  • A Certification of Birth (Form FS-545 or DS-1350) - For certified copies, please contact the Vital Records Section at the Department of State;
  • Inclusion in the passport of your U.S. citizen parent(s).
  • an expired, or currently valid, full validity U.S. passport

If you were born outside the United States and have not been previously documented as a U.S. citizen, and are:

  • under the age of 18: please see our instructions for obtaining a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  • age 18 or over the age of 18, please review the following checklist. If you are found to have acquired citizenship at birth, it will be documented with a passport.

For more information on citizenship please contact our American Citizen Services Section or book an appointment on-line to come in and speak with a an ACS representative or go to: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Note: Derivative claims to U.S. citizenship depend on the existence of a legal blood relationship between the applicant and the U.S. citizen parent.  Therefore, adopted children do not acquire citizenship automatically upon adoption.  However, they may be eligible for citizenship through naturalization if they have been processed for an immigrant visa. For more information on immigrant visas please follow this link.



  • For citizenship queries please e-mail:  

  • If you were born in Bermuda and are trying to obtain copies of your birth certificate you must do this through the Bermuda Registry General. Their phone number is (441) 297-7739.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.