Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Federal Benefits

IMPORTANT NOTICE! Annual mailings of the Request a Social Security Statement have suspended. You may be able to estimate your retirement benefit using our online Retirement Estimator at

General Information
If you are currently receiving monthly benefits from a federal or state agency in the United States (Social Security, Veterans Administration, etc.) you should contact the U.S. Consulate to advise us of your residence abroad and to inquire about the procedures for having your benefit checks sent overseas. It may also be possible to make arrangements with your U.S. bank to have your benefit check directly deposited into your U.S. bank account, or to a Butterfield Bank account if you are a resident in Bermuda.

Service Hours
If you are currently receiving monthly benefits from a federal agency (Social Security, Department of Veteran Affairs, etc.) and need assistance, please contact the Consulate Federal Benefits office at: (441) 295-1342 ext. 222. Please have your claim number handy. 

Please note that the consulate is closed on all American and Bermudian holidays.

Services Provided

The Federal Benefits Unit provides assistance with Social Security, Civil Service and Department of Veterans' Affairs benefits, to include the following:

  • Social Security numbers;

  • Filing Social Security claims for retirement, survivors and disability benefits;
  • Filing Department of Veterans' Affairs claims for compensation, pension, education, survivor and burial benefits;
  • Assisting beneficiaries of pensions from the Office of Personnel Management, and the Railroad Retirement Board;
  • Beneficiary status change transaction, i.e., notice of changes of address, non-receipt of payment, etc.;
  • Medicare enrollments and cancellations;
  • Appointment of representative payees for incapable beneficiaries;
  • Assistance in obtaining birth, marriage, divorce and death records and medical evidence when necessary for claims.

Related Links