Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Report of Birth

General Information
When a child is born to an American citizen parent or parents overseas (i.e. Bermuda or any other foreign country) certain documentation is required in order for the child to be registered as an American citizen. You may not be aware of the fact that even if your child holds a nationality of a country other than the U.S., if your child has a claim to U.S. citizenship, he or she must be in possession of a valid U.S. passport to enter the United States. Also, you may register your child with the U.S. Consulate in Bermuda even if your child was born in another foreign country. We strongly recommend that the birth of your child be reported to the consulate as soon as possible after the birth.

How to Apply:

Applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). Please review this Checklist.

1. Complete form DS-2029 Application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America.  

2. Complete form DS-11- First Time Passport Application.

3. If required, complete form DS-3053 - Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under the Age of 16.

4. Complete form SS-5-FS - Social Security Card Application.  

5. Once you have filled out the application package and obtained all the necessary supporting documents, you may then book an appointment on-line. Both parents and child must appear in person for the appointment. Please note, the consulate is closed during all official U.S. and Bermudian holidays. If your application is incomplete you will be required to reschedule your appointment.

If approved, the child will receive his/her Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a U.S. passport and a Social Security number (please allow several months for the social security card to arrive). This report of birth record, also known as an FS-240 is acceptable as proof of birth and U.S. citizenship for all legal purposes.

Please contact the consulate for further instructions by e-mail  or call (441) 295-1342 ext. 222/228.