Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Social Security Numbers

Social Security numbers are issued only to United States citizens, legally admitted resident aliens (green card holders), and to those required to have a number by federal law. Immigrating aliens generally secure a number after admission to the United States.
How to apply: 

  1. Complete the application Form SS-5-FS. If you are residing in Bermuda, you should return the completed form to the Federal Benefits Unit at the consulate. Be sure that you have signed the application exactly as your passport is signed.

  2. First-time applicants must present:
    *an original birth certificate; 
    *if born outside of the U.S. to a U.S. citizen(s) also submit the *consular report of birth abroad;  
    *Provide an original marriage and/or change of name certificate for change-of-name cases;
    *A valid U.S. passport or green card.
  3. All first-time applicants must appear in person at the consulate. First time applicants over the age of 12 must be interviewed. First time applicants over the age of 5 years must present evidence of their entire period of residence abroad upon application i.e. school records, work records, etc.
  4. Replacement Social Security card applications require the same documentation as a first-time application.
  5. Fee: There is no fee for applying for a Social Security card.
  6. Once you have gathered your documents together you may book an appointment on-line. Please select "Request notarial and other services not listed above."

Cards should be received from the Social Security Administration in Baltimore anytime from 2-6 months of completing the application process and mailed directly to your residence.
U.S. citizens registering a child: Applications for Social Security numbers for a child being registered as a U.S. citizen is incorporated into the Consular Report of Birth Abroad application, provided that child has not attained his or her fifth (5th) birthday. If a card is not received within three months, contact the Federal Benefits Unit. The parent signing the application must also provide identification such as his or her  passport or green card.
Attending school in the U.S.: Aliens not otherwise entitled to a Social Security number who plan on attending school in the United States may be asked for a Social Security number by the school. This is for record-keeping purposes and is not authorized by federal law. The school should be asked to assign its own internal number.
Non-resident aliens: Non-resident aliens requiring a Social Security number for purposes of filing a U.S. tax return must file a Form W-7 Application for an IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) with the Internal Revenue Service. To apply for a ITIN, you will be required to provide the IRS with a certified copy of your passport. The Consulate can provide this notarial service for you during our American Citizen Service hours. Additionally, the IRS will ask you to provide evidence that you have a specific need for a ITIN number (e.g. letter from bank etc.).
Conducting business with a financial institution: If a Social Security number is required to conduct business with a U.S. bank or financial institution and federal law does not otherwise allow the issuance of a number, ask the Internal Revenue Service for a Form W-8 or W-8BEN, Certificate of Foreign Status.
For more information regarding Social Security cards please visit or 


  • If you need to locate a missing Social Security number, you must appear in person with proper identification. If this is not possible, contact us for special instructions. The Social Security Administration (SSA) now follows this procedure in response to growing concerns about identity theft.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.