Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Common NIV Classes
  1. Business Visas (B-1) - The classification business visa refers to short visits to the U.S. for conventions, conferences, consultations and other legitimate activities of a commercial or professional nature.  It does not include employment or labor for hire.
  2. Tourist Visas (B-2) - The classification tourist visa refers to legitimate activities of a recreational character, including tourism, amusement, visits with friends or relatives, rest, medical treatment, and activities of a fraternal, social, or service nature.
  3. Transit Visas (C1) - Transit visas  are for travelers who intend to pass in immediate and continuous transit through the United States to another country. 
  4. Crew Visas (C1/D) - The term "crewman" means a person serving in any capacity on board a vessel or aircraft. Applications for revalidations are accepted from legitimate crewmembers on ships or aircraft traveling on Bermuda routes. All applicants must apply in person.  Applications for crew visas must be accompanied by the passport containing the previously issued visa, a copy of the current work contract, and an original signed letter verifying employment from the shipping or airline company. For further instructions go to "How to Apply".
  5. Student Visas (F, M) - There are three categories of visas that allow you to study in the United States. They are as follows:
    • F Visa: Regular academic or language study
    • M Visa: Non-academic or vocational studie
  6. Please go to student visas for more information. 

  7. Exchange Program Visas (J) - The J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program (EVP) provides opportunities for nearly 300,000 foreign visitors a year to experience the United States, its society and culture and connect with Americans.  Through one of fifteen different types of J-1 Visa exchange programs, EVP participants may teach, study, conduct research, share their specialized skills, or receive on-the-job training for periods ranging from a few weeks to several years.  These programs are sponsored by over 1,450 for-profit, non-profit, or federal, state, or local government entities designated by the Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). 

    EVP participants are students, professionals, entrepreneurs, and leaders eager to hone their skills, strengthen their English abilities, connect with Americans, and learn more about the United States.  All J-1 Visa exchanges include a cross-cultural component to their programs which gives participants the opportunity to engage more broadly with Americans and share their own cultures with their U.S. host communities.  They return home eager to stay connected, to expand their networks, and to explore future exchange opportunities as “citizen ambassadors." 
  8. Temporary Work Visas (H, I, L, O, P) - Like most countries in the world, the United States limits the type and number of foreign workers who can enter. To perform work duties in the United States, you must have a work visa regardless of where you are being paid. Please  go to additional work visa information for further information.
  9. Treaty Trader/Treaty Investor Visa (E1 or E2) - All E-1 and E-2 visa applications   are by appointment only. Applications and all supporting documents must be submitted in advance to the consular officer. Please note: There is no E1 or E2 treaty between Bermuda and the U.S.; however, there are treaties with the U.K. for citizens of the United Kingdom.

New website!

  • New J-1 visa website!